LP "Niemen Enigmatic"
XL / SXL 0576
Zbigniew Namysłowski - alt sax
Czesław Bartkowski - dr
Michał Urbaniak - tenor sax, flute
Tomasz Jaśkiewicz -g
Zbigniew Sztyc - tenor sax
Janusz Zieliński - bg
Niemen - voc, Hammond org
In October, 1969 they record the first album Niemen Enigmatic. Some guest musicians appear on the album- a vocal group Alibabki and a
choir conducted by Romuald Miazga. Z. Złotkowski is the sound engineer and Z. Gajewska produces the album.
1. Bema pamięci żałobny rapsod (C.Niemen, C.Norwid)
1. Jednego serca (C.Niemen, A.Asnyk)
2. Kwiaty ojczyste (C.Niemen , T.Kubiak)
3. Mów do mnie jeszcze (C.Niemen, K.Przerwa-Tetmajer)
The album is also released in Czechoslovakia in 1970 by Supraphon (No.0130890). Polskie Nagrania Muza reissued it on LP in:
1. 1986, under the retrospective series "Z archiwum Polskiego beatu - Polish Beat Archives" (SX 2550)
2. 2009, under the retrospective series "Czarne Perły - Black Pearls" (SXL 0576)
There were also six CD and two MC versions of Niemen Enigmatic :
1. Digiton 1991 CD no. DIG 114
2. Nota Aenigma 1995 CD CD no. nae 104 retrospective series "Niemen retrospekcja"
3. Polskie Nagrania Muza 1996 CD no. PNCD 356 retrospective series "Niemen od początku"
4. Andromeda 1999 (ADRM) no. CD 328 as "Niemen-2"
5. Polskie Nagrania and Polskie Radio December, 2002 Fifth CD with no.PRCD 335 in Box "Niemen od początku"
6. Warner Music Poland 21.05.2007 CD no.PRCD 335
7.Digiton 1992 MC no.DIG C 108
8. Polskie Nagrania 1996 MC no.CK1417
The album very fast wins accolades from both fans (it tops various Polish charts) and critics. It is beyond any doubt that Niemen Enigmatic
belongs to the canon of Polish rock music. From my perspective, it is safe to say that it stands comparison to all the Western albums recorded
in that time. Coherent, masterfully played music fits with beautiful pieces of Polish poetry (verses by Asnyk, Norwid or Przerwa-Tetmajer
are used for lyrics). Rich, expressive sounds of Hammond organs make the music even more epic.
If you want more info about next record, check out my next webpage about Niemen Enigmatic
Cz.Niemen died on 17th. January, 2004 in Warsaw.
His funeral was at Powązki, Warsaw on 30th January, 2004.
Since the very first day Czeslaw Niemen's artistic activity sparked a lot of controversies. It has to be said that his works were frequently
misunderstood. He started to compose in the beginning of the 60s. As a budding artist, he used his actual last name WYDRZYCKI. In that
time, Wydrzycki v. Niemen mainly wrote Latino-American songs. In the fall of 1962, encouraged by Jacek Grań, he joins Niebiesko-Czarni.
Around that time, he also decides to use a stage name NIEMEN (as suggested by Czeslawa Walicka). In November 1965 he leaves the band.
For about a year (1965-1966), he worked on his own. Later, he forms a band named
Under that moniker, Niemen records his first three LPs ("Sukces", "Dziwny jest ten świat", "Czy mnie jeszcze pamiętasz")
Later, when Niemen gained fame, he tried to undermine his work from the Akwarele period. However, his albums from that time seem to be
the most popular. Supposedly, an average Pole in the street, asked about Niemen's music would probably quote "Dziwny jest ten świat"
(a song from those years). Personally, I call it pop but good pop. In July 1969 Czeslaw forms a new band
Date of Publication in Polish - September, 2001 Date of Publication in English - 01.01..2010 Last update - 06.02.2010